Sunday, August 8, 2021

The MONEY SPIDERS (The CHICANES)

 The MONEY SPIDERS (The CHICANES) - later as The Beautiful People 1968


The CHICANES
December 1963 - 1965 (Source Broadgate Gnome)

Beat Group

Members: Roger Gunn (lead guitar), Robert Cumner (rhythm guitar), Bernie Tompkins (bass), Kevin Connelly (drums). Barry Kingsbeer

Barry Kingsbeer formed the band with Kevin Connelly- see note below.

Formed in December 1963 and managed by Gordon Williams. Signed with Joe Meek as their recording manager. Became The Money Spiders in 1965 and the Beautiful People 1968.

Barry Kingsbeer
I was flattered to see a kind mention of The Chicanes here, schoolmate Kevin Connolly got a drum kit and took me round to his house to see it. At that point, being young and without fear (some might sat without a clue) we decided to form a band. I didn't play any instrument at that time but ended up on bass which has been my first instrument ever since. On leaving the band I joined The Establishment, formerly The Stormbreakers from Nuneaton. Left Coventry 65/66 and lost touch. I’ve lived in Stratford for the last 20 years and am still playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment