Thursday, April 7, 2022

Fridayz Angelz

Fridayz Angelz




Andy Rothwell Guttercat says

" Before I split from Inzane Dice, we had a last minute change of name (Fridays Angels from the Generation X song), possibly the night before we split. The reason for the split escapes me now? Possibly it wasn't quite the band we all wanted as musical tastes changed.

So 1985/1986 and it was back out looking for a new band again. Anyway, band number five was just over the horizon. Advertising myself as a Fridays Angel, looking for band members, a guitarist named Russ contacted me.

I had advertised for a guitarist or answered an advert for a band, in a similar type of music I was into at the time. I was into bands such as Wrathchild, Hanoi Rocks, and the Babysitters and a host of other similar Glam and sleaze type bands, and so was looking to join a band similar to some of these. I'd gone with my then girlfriend Jacqui to meet up with a guitarist, Russ Frame, at his house. His mum answered the door, and a upon opening it, shouted up the stairs to Russ to come down. This guy bounded down the stairs and looked a cross between a Babysitter/Hanoi rocks Bernie Torme type character. At the time he just seemed to be perfect for what he was looking for and what I was looking for. We chatted for a couple of hours and found so much musical common ground that Fridayz Angelz were born.. Well within a few weeks at least.


And so started the auditioning again. The audition took place at the old Horizon studios (where again The Specials connection lies, as they used the place too.) Obviously I got the gig and 1st or 2nd rehearsal in, 'Who's She Killin Now?' was written. Russ decided he liked the name Fridays Angels. So after a few letter changes so as to cause no trouble with my previous band, FRIDAYZ ANGELZ* the glam band were born. The band had been together in various forms before I joined and played a mixed bag of tunes, including a Rush Tune and a Stooges tune. The writing of songs began quite quickly and gigs soon followed. The highlight of being with this band was getting to support (amongst others) The Babysitter's at the Legendary Marquee Club in London. I got to get into the studio with the band for the 1st time also and recorded 3 demo's over our time together. The band lasted a few years and was the heart and soul of my life during that time. So after several years of ups and downs, demo's and line-up changes the band split up due to the poaching of two members of the band by up and coming Birmingham band, The Brooklyn Dogs. One final line-up of the band was put together and lasted several rehearsals before splitting up through lack of direction and enthusiasm from the line-up. The final nail, was losing our then, new bassist, to ex-Tigertailz singer's new band St Jaimz, in London. The guitarist from another local glam band Dressed to Kill, also went off to join St Jaimz."










No comments:

Post a Comment