Sunday, March 24, 2019

Stiletto

Stiletto


Blues / rock



BACK TO THE BAND INDEX

Graham Walker; Lead guitar & vocalist


Dennis Burns; Rhythm guitar & vocals


Arun Bhundari; Bass guitar & vocals


Jim Pryal; Drums & vocals



"A good covers band with a bent for Thin Lizzy. I remember seeing this band in the Dog and trumpet and wishing we could could play as well as they did. Jim Pryal later was in Hot Snacks." From Rex Brough





From Dennis Burns Typepad blog


This track is from Stiletto (Graham Walker, Arun Bhandari, Jim Pryal and myself) with a cover of an Orleans song called "What I need". Again it is from a rehearsal sometime in 1978 (I think...).

Unfortunately, my tape of Stiletto only contains 4 tracks, and these from a rehearsal towards the end of our time together when we were trying out new songs (hence more "warts" than normal). This song is the only one that I remember actually made our last set list (after a bit more rehearsing... ;o)

What I Need - Stiletto - Listen to the track on Dennis's blog..

https://a4.typepad.com/6a0134878ea33d970c0134878eb17c970c-pi




From Jim Pryal

" I joined a band called 'Stiletto' - another covers band based in Coventry and Nuneaton. We were a popular local pub band and always did well in the 'Dog and Trumpet' in Coventry with Thin Lizzy covers going down a bomb, literally, as we used to use those maroon type explosive devices that made a serious bang! Stiletto were Graham Walker on vocals and guitar, Dennis Burns on rhythm, Arun Bhandari on bass. We had regular work including sharing the bill at Warwick Uni with Ruby Turner, Mungo Jerry, The Sinceros and more. You have to picture Graham with a false nose that lit up and a cloak launching into 'Delilah" - hilarious! One time we had no maroons, so our roadie Phil 'Do the dog' made something up out of weedkiller. My God!!! When it went off we had to evacuate Wyken hall as the whole place filled with dense acrid smoke! During this period, Arun and I did a recording via Chris King with 'Black Parrot Seaside' at Pathway studios, London. Wreckless Eric and Elvis Costello had done tracks there and Dire Straits had recorded 'The Sultans of Swing' album there. We were on hallowed ground. Just a small place with an eight track recorder as I remember. We recorded a very funny song about being reincarnated as a vacuum cleaner! I still laugh now thinking about it! I just had a mail from Geoff Veasey - so great to hear that The Parrot are still performing."


No comments:

Post a Comment