Friday, October 5, 2018

MALIAS (formerly known as SIREN)

MALIAS 
(formerly known as SIREN)




Colin Hughes tells us "The band was called Siren (1981 - 82). Col Hugheson guitar with Tony Lowe also on guitar, Johnny Slater on drums, Gareth Beynon on bass and Keith Farrelly / aka Keith Fabrique singer. 

In '82 we changed lineup with Paul James taking over on bass and Andy Rothwell aka Andy Guttercat on vocals. At the same time we changed the band name to Malias. We split sometime in the early 80s but myself and Tony Lowe got back together in 2011 to form a new band which we also called Malias though the other 3 weren't original members (Craig Taylor bass, James Bricknell drums and David Seeley vocals).

We did quite a few local gigs at the Arches & Roadhouse etc. We split up in 2016 when I quit playing. This is our band page, if you go into the photos tab and find the album called Old Malias Pics there's loads there, take your pic (no pun!). There's no videos except ones of the more recent band."

Andy Rothwell - Guttercat says
"It was around 1980 and I heard via a friend down our local drinking haunt The Lady Godiva Pub (nicknamed The Dive) that a metal band were looking for a singer as their current singer had been sacked / left. Turned out though he had become the Manager of the band. Keith Farrelly was his name and he guided me helped me with my singing also. So the second band I joined after an audition, was the heavy metal/rock band 'MALIAS'. * I dropped playing the bass guitar at this point which was strange as they auditioned a new bass player at the same time (Just happened to be Black Paul who' I'd hook with again many years later in The Gutter Cats). I got to play my first two live gigs with this band which was fun. It got me into wearing my 1st pair of spandex trousers (A sky blue colour!) as was the fashion for metal bands at the time. Things didn't last long though, and neither did the trousers. The band split up due to personal issues. From memory a couple of rehearsals were tried with a rejuvenated line-up of Malias members and new personnel but nothing came of it.

This is Malias on Reverbnation - listen to 16 tracks by them here 
This was the more recent version of Malias and not the one from the 80’s.
The song Stop Falling in Love was originally written by Andy Guttercat but then updated lyrically for this recording.












Andy Guttercat - Rothwell in Malias







No comments:

Post a Comment